City Wide Clean Up – Thursday, October 6, 2016 – Sponsored by the City of Bessemer City and Keep Bessemer City Beautiful, a city-wide clean-up project will take place Thursday, October 6th. Join local residents, businesses and students in cleaning up litter in Bessemer City. We urge neighborhoods, civic groups, schools, churches, families to gather and help us send a message that we take PRIDE in our community and want to keep it litter-free!!!
To register a group – call City Hall – 704-629-5542. Bring friends, co-workers and neighbors to help clean litter. Following the cleanup city crews and Waste Pro will collect all bags, and bulk items placed at the curb. If you don’t want to join an organized group, then feel free to do an area that’s “just your size”.
Consider joining in this spring clean-up, make a difference in your city.
Cleanup Safety Tips
- Wear gloves and thick-soled, closed-toe shoes, wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts
- Wear safety vests or bright colors for roadside cleanups and wear sunscreen & bug repellent
- Drink plenty of fluids and have “quick energy foods” on hand
- Be aware of your surroundings and the potential hazards associated with them (e.g. passing cars, hazardous tree branches, poison ivy, etc.)
- Use the “buddy system” and work in teams of two or three to maximize safety
- Wash hands with soap after the cleanup
- Bag litter according to directions and place in designated locations
- Don’t pick up hazardous materials such as hypodermic needles, sharp objects, old car batteries, condoms, animal carcasses or other unidentified, questionable objects.
- Don’t overstuff bags
- Don’t bring pets to events, as they may distract participants or even detract from the cleanup
- Don’t enter water if doing a waterway cleanup.
- Don’t attempt to move large, heavy objects. Report illegal dumping, graffiti, tires and bulky items to the event coordinators.
- Have fun!