This month’s safety tip from the Bessemer City Fire Department is Grilling safety. Propane and charcoal cooking along with any deep frying cooking larger than a small fry cooker should be conducted out side. Having your family prepared with a emergency exit path and a meeting spot out side is key. This will ensure that everyone makes it safely out of your home in the event of a fire, along with working smoke detectors.
Here are the grilling safety tips:
- Propane and characoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
- There are several ways to get the characoal ready to use. Charcoal chimney starters allow you to start the charcoal using newspaper as a fuel.
- If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
- Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and keep away from heat sources.