Frequently Asked Questions

City Council

Contact the Clerk’s Office. You can do this by filing out the “Contact Us” form in the “How Do I” section of our website.

Category: City Council

City Council meets on the second Monday every month at 7:00PM in the Council Chambers. Special Meetings and other meetings are scheduled on an as needed basis.

Category: City Council

Economic Development

Look under Forms and Documents and you will find a map of the downtown historic district. If you have questions about this, you can always ask!

By requesting an Economic Development Package, the department will supply you with information related to available properties, development assistance, and other necessary information. You can also browse the “Sites & Buildings” section of the City’s website as well.

Incentives are targeted for downtown business development.  Visit our page on incentives to review the guidelines and requirements for downtown incentives.

Visit the Downtown Development page for more information.

The Department of Economic Development is located on the 2nd floor of City Hall at 132  W. Virginia Avenue, Bessemer City, NC 28016.

Natural Gas Department

At this time the City is giving away free gas taps that are going on heat or hot water heater. Fire log only does not qualify for free gas taps.

Go to City Hall and ask for a Gas Tap application. This form can also be found on the Finance and Customer Service page.

Natural Gas has no odor; the odor only smells with the additive Mercaptan. It is added so anyone can recognize the smell of Natural Gas. It has a rotten egg smell.

You can call City Hall and they can transfer you to the Natural Gas Department to speck with the Natural Gas Distribution Coordinator that can tell you if there is Natural Gas in your area or you can call the Natural Gas Department at: (704) 833-0371.

Parks and Recreation

Our team schedules are handed out to each participant before the start of each season. You may call the Parks and Recreation Department at 704-629-5111 for schedule information.

No. Tennis courts and picnic shelters are on a first come first serve basis.

Community Building and Recreation Office Hours are Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm.

To register for classes and programs call the Parks and Recreation Office at 704-629-5111.

For Senior Activities and/or classes call 704.729.6465

To rent the Community Building call 704-729-6465 or visit the Kiser Senior Center located at 123 W. Pennsylvania Ave., Bessemer City, NC.

Swimming Pool Rentals begin each year at 8:00am on April 1 of each year at the Bessemer City Community Building.

Senior Citizens

There are no annual fees or dues. Most classes cost a minimal fee, usually a few dollars.

Category: Senior Citizens

Monday – Friday; 8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Category: Senior Citizens

The “Senior Moments” newsletter is published monthly, includes a calendar and lists the classes and other special programs for the month. The newsletter may be downloaded by clicking on the link found on the Kiser Senior Center page of this website (left column). It is also available at the center or by email. Call704-729-6465 sign up to receive the newsletter via email.

Category: Senior Citizens

Call the Kiser Senior Center at 704-729-6465 or drop by the center at 123 W. Pennsylvania Avenue.

Category: Senior Citizens

Water Department

Usually brown or discolored water can be caused by low usage, where water is sitting in the pipes or from a leak in the pipe. Sometimes we have what we call lake turnover which is caused by the change in temperature of the water and can occur during the change of the seasons, this will also cause discoloration as well as taste and odor in the water.

Yes. The Water Treatment Facility staff samples and analyzes the water we treat hourly or as required by the State of North Carolina and EPA.  The Water Treatment Facility Operator continually monitors our charts, recorders, and digital information to ensure the plant does not have any problems.  Should there be a change in any of the above, the operator notifies the Operator in Responsible Charge (ORC) for direction.

The State of North Carolina Water Resources requires the Water Treatment Facility to inform you of the conditions of your water throughout the year.  Some of these reports are general information, some are to notify you should a parameter in your water exceed the required limits.  Should you have questions concerning these reports please call someone at the above phone numbers.  We will be happy to assist you with your questions or concerns.