The Street and Maintenance Division of the Public Works Department is responsibility for:
- street maintenance
- bulk debris pickup and yard waste collection
- right-of-way maintenance
- water/sewer line repairs
- holiday and seasonal decoration installation
- fleet management
Rental Truck Program
The City provides the “rental truck” program to help citizens deal with removing bulk waste. With this program, residents can reserve a city truck to load the materials at their residence. The city will take the debris to the landfill the following day. The cost to reserve the truck is $50, which is put towards the landfill disposal fee. Following disposal, any amount over the $50 will be billed to the resident. The truck can be reserved by coming to City Hall, completing an application and paying the $50 fee.
Yard Waste Collection
- The City will pick up yard waste weekly on your normal service day.
- Branches must be no more than 6 inches in diameter and less than 5 feet long.
- Do not mix other debris with leaves.
- Loose leaves will be collected from October 1 – March 1.
- Bagged leaves will be collected March 2 – September 30.
Limb Collection Reminder – City Ordinances require that limbs be no longer than 5ft. in length, and no larger than 6 inches in diameter. We cannot collect limbs if other debris is mixed with them, or if they exceed the required length & size. We are seeing an increase in contracted work being placed at curbside for collection. We do not collect yard waste resulting from any type of contracted work.
Leaf Collection – During the spring/summer months, the City will collect bagged leaves. The Leaf Vacuum Program begins in October of 2006. After that date, no bagged leaves will be collected. Also, leaves mixed with other debris cannot be vacuumed. Burning permits are not issued during the leaf vacuum season.
Yard Waste Collection Codes
Tree, hedge, and shrubbery trimmings shall be placed at the curb for collection in accordance with the following guidelines:
- No tree trunks, branches, limbs, and the like, larger than six inches in diameter, longer than five feet in length shall be collected by the city.
- Tree and shrubbery limbs shall have protruding branches or limbs of a size not to be blown about and scattered by the elements, they shall be effectively tied so as to avoid wind driven debris and unsightly litter conditions. Thorny vegetation shall be placed near the curb in small, neat piles.
- Collection of tree and shrubbery trimmings shall be limited to six yards, uncompacted per week per residence, but additional service may be approved by the Public Works Director upon request.
- Tree limbs shall be separated from smaller shrubbery trimmings to allow for chipping, all brush shall be put in separate piles from other general debris.
- Limbs and cuttings must be placed with butt or cut end toward the street or public alley and must be of the size that can be handled by one person.
- The city shall not collect tree and shrubbery trimmings resulting from contracted work, as defined in § 54.01 of this chapter, nor shall the city collect, remove, or assist in the removal of tree stumps, small rocks, tree trunks, heavy grass, or dirt resulting from the clearing of any property of any kind. It shall be unlawful for any person to place or deposit any such item at curbside at any time. (Ord. passed 2/10/92) Penalty, see § 54.99